How does Modafinil work?

Discussion in 'Modafinil Chemistry' started by Kelsey, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey Newbie

I'm interested in how modafinil works. I read on the blog that modafinil affects the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, histamine, and norepinephrine. Does it affect any other neurochemicals? If so, which ones? Any research on modafinil's mechanism of action (MOA) would be much appreciated. Thanks! :D

2. Beherenow13

Beherenow13 Newbie

The bottom line is, they do not know. I have read chemical explanations. I have read clinical discussions.

Why is it there is normally no tolerance buildup? They do not know.
    Why is it there is no physical addiction potential, and very low psychological addiction potential? They do not know.

This is a strange drug, with some reporting wonderful results and virtually no side effects, and others reporting very little effect, terrible side effects (headaches, diarrhea, excessive sweat and body odor).

Modafinil has two effects, one wakefulness, one cognitive. Although generally closely linked, in some individuals they seem disconnected. Genetic non responders receive no wakefulness benefit, but do receive cognitive benefits, although generally to a lesser degree than general users.