Amphetamines Vs. Modafinil

Discussion in 'Brand Discussion' started by Master Chief, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Use

Has anyone tried adderal or any kind of ADHD medication, and how does it compare to modafinil?

2. Cheshire666

Cheshire666 Newbie

SWIM tried both, modafinil keeps you far more focused, also there are no visible side effects from it (apart from maybe mildly upset stomach). Adderal is horrible compared to it, it made SWIM too antisocial and also a bit paranoid adn by far less focused/productive.

afinilexpert likes this.
  3. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Use

Too antisocial? Could you elaborate on that? Also, what exactly was going through his mind to make him less productive?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    afinilexpert likes this.
  4. Cheshire666

Cheshire666 Newbie

Sure, basically SWIM was always on edge. If his flatmates were watching tv next door while he was doing work he would get really angry at them, which is very unlucky him, since usually he would ether just put his headphones on or (more probably join them). Working in library was impossible since even somebody getting up was too annoying.

SWIM also didn't want to talk to anyone while on adderal, but the thing is when he was left on his own he would start feeling very lonely, but still didn't want to interact with people.

SWIM also didn't want to go to parties or even out for a beer (which is VERY unlike SWIM).

Overall SWIM didn't enjoy his experience with adderal and stoped taking it after a month of use and switched to Provigil. Now SWIM is back to his normal self, going out every friday and managing to get work done on saturday.

afinilexpert likes this.
  5. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Use

So he was very irritable
    From that last post i will assume you mean he was drinking with it. Are there any potential problems? i saw this video on youtube, which i cannot find now, of a guy just out of his mind on both.

afinilexpert likes this.
  6. Cheshire666

Cheshire666 Newbie

He wasn't drinking with adderal, because he didn't want to.

BUT drinking on modafinil is great. SWIM was able to consume a lot of alcohol (about 500ml of JD + few beers) and achieve only positive effects of being drunk. i.e he was happy and jolly, talkative, confident (but not the ''i bet i can jump this gap between those buildings'' kind) and also was generally enjoying him self for a long time (from about 7pm till 5am, after a whole day of work). However, he was still clear headed and did not feel sick. Even next morning (mid-afternoon) didn't feel as bad as it usually does.

afinilexpert likes this.
  7. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Use

Sorry to switch gears like that from adderal to modafinil in the previous lines. I have heard that taking modafinil the next morning is also a good hangover cure. So he was not feeling negative side effects from the alcohol. He never felt the depressant side to it?

afinilexpert likes this.
  8. Cheshire666

Cheshire666 Newbie

Exactly, I guess the best description of modafinil & alcohol combo is: like a very small dose of cocaine that lasts through all the night, and you don't have to teach your self how to breath again next morning.

afinilexpert and Bruce T like this.
  9. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Use

How long has your friend had modafinil and what is his overall opinion on it?

afinilexpert likes this.
  10. Cheshire666

Cheshire666 Newbie

He has been taken modafinil since Sptember 2012. And he believes that it's really good, at least when you don't get a fake. It can be a bit too consuming sometimes tho, in a sense that you don't stop working till 4am without realising and have to go to work next morning. It also seems to work well with other supplements, although I can't say that he tried it with anything crazy (like LCD), but it would be interesting to see someone do that. It is also not great when you are trying to do something in town (like shopping) , for example: SWIM was getting some beef for lasagne (while on modafinil) and had to look up a recipe online, instead he ended up reading everything there is to know about lasagne for about 40min while standing in the middle of a grocery store.

And what about you/your friend? Does he like modafinil and does he think there are better alternatives?

afinilexpert likes this.
  11. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Use

intresting, when i take it i can multitask pretty well i don't have a tunnel vision where i can become totally zoned. I think as of now i have not seen any other alternatives that can compare.

afinilexpert likes this.
  12. Cheshire666

Cheshire666 Newbie

it is really interesting, so you wouldn't say that when you are on it time just seems to disappear? (cos it sure does for me)

afinilexpert likes this.
  13. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Use

Time does disappear when i need to stay committed to a task. When i am in class or out i can generally behave normally

afinilexpert and Cheshire666 like this.
  14. plucky ducky

plucky ducky Active Use

I can't stand adderall and ritalin, and wish that I found/had moda all those years the psychiatrist was trying to tweak my brain! My problem isn't a lack of motivation, but rather that if I sit in a chair not moving or doing much (like in a lecture or seminar) I sorta go into cognitive hibernation mode; my eyes are open, I have basic responses, but I am otherwise asleep. This is not a problem with moda. Adderall also kept me awake, but had loads of other nasty side effects that I didn't care for.

As far as alcohol... I avoid mixing moda and booze as much as possible. I am much more likely to have a headache the night of or the next day if I'm consuming both. If I take moda with a hangover, I am simply an awake hungover person! :D For me it does nothing to help ease or cure a hangover... only makes me awake.

afinilexpert and Master Chief like this.
  15. Johnny B

Johnny B Active Use

I am still waiting for my first shipment of Modafinil, so I can't give you my thoughts on that.

I took Adderall with a prescription for 6 months, though, and I didn't like it. There were a few times when it would kick in and everything would fall into place and feel like the movie Limitless, but I only felt that way on maybe two days out of the whole 6 months. The rest of the time, it always felt like my dose wasn't high enough to make any difference or that it was too high and I would feel all cracked out.

On higher doses of Adderall, I felt like I could get really focused on something, but that I would become more stupid at the same time. So, a homework assignment that would have taken 30 minutes without Adderall would take 4 hours--the Adderall made it so I could easily focus for the 4 hours, but it was just ridiculous. I would also end up writing very very long e-mails or forum posts--so long that I knew nobody would read them because they would tl;dr. At the time, my girlfriend once sent me a one line e-mail about an article that I sent her and she basically said, "That's cool. I should look more into this sometime." So I ended up writing her a 10 page report, including citations, on the subject in response to her one line. I just couldn't stop myself, and in fact, I was late to meeting with her for lunch that day because I couldn't pull myself away from writing that e-mail to her.

So, yeah. I don't like Adderall. It always felt like the cons outweighed the pros for me. However, I've heard a lot of stories from other people about how it completely changed their life for the better, so who knows, it may work for you.

afinilexpert likes this.
  16. westgate

westgate Active Use

Adderall is a bit better for concentration and getting things done, but it also has the euphoria and speediness components that sometimes make you deviate from your original plans. Modafinil seems a lot safer from an abuse potential stand point and is not far off in terms of effectiveness.

afinilexpert likes this.
  17. Peteroman

Peteroman Regular Use

I took Adderall before taking my SAT the second time. The first time taking the SAT I did not take Adderall. There was a 40 point gain. I felt very similar to taking Modafinil looking back now, honestly. My friend (Ryan actually, for those who have seen my video) and I took Adderall, at his house at 7am and had to be at the school by 8am. Just like on Modafinil, I at least, became slightly too confident leading us to leave at like 745am (he lives down the street from the school) when you're supposed to be there by 745am. Normally I would be Captain Paranoid and leave the house at like 720am to be safe. I drove up to the school and very quickly parked in the first spot I could find, at first passing it without seeing it, which meant I had to reverse into the parking space. I felt very alert and concentrated on the task. At one point I thought to myself, wow I could have never done that without Adderall, I parked so well. After the test we boasted about how well we did, but we really did not do all that much better. Like any nootropic, it doesn't endow upon you infinite knowledge and wisdom. The only noticeable difference between Adderall and Modafinil I would say is that after Adderall I felt exhausted, like I wanted to sleep for two days straight

afinilexpert likes this.
  18. NootropicFan

NootropicFan Newbie

Here are two great quotes from the same reddit thread on this:

"[A]finils bring wakefulness and can bring cognitive improvements but they do not give the focus that conventional stims do. They are much safer with fewer short and long term side-effects, so are valuable, but they require discipline and are not as pleasurable."
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comme...odafinilmodafinil_nuvigil_or_provigil/cejjgvp

"If you have steady access to adderall then you will most likely be underwhelmed and unimpressed with what armo and modafinil bring to the table. They both provide stimulation, but not the same as adderall. Just enough to keep you from falling asleep or becoming distracted, but lacking the 'push' that adderall gives. Armo/Moda are more like caffeine that lasts longer, but adderall lasts longer and is far superior in terms of speed of mental process, duration and overall pleasance. The only thing armo/moda have over adderall is a lesser 'crash' than adderall, but this con is negligible and outweighed by adderalls respective pros"
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comme...odafinilmodafinil_nuvigil_or_provigil/cej7iya

afinilexpert likes this.
  19. Peteroman

Peteroman Regular Use

I don't know if the crash is negligible. The purpose of taking a nootropic is for an "up" experience. If that comes with an afterward effect of a massive "down", then what is the point? At least Modafinil offers a stable stimulation that is not later followed with feeling slow, lazy, and worse than before you took it like with Adderall. Don't get me wrong, Adderall is definitely potent and has its benefits in certain cases, especially when you need a strong stimulation for a while without worrying to much about what happens afterwards. But in terms of long term use, Modafinil offers a steady ride all the way

afinilexpert likes this.
  20. Johnny B

Johnny B Active Use

In my experience, I've actually liked caffeine much more than Adderall. Caffeine is just annoying to regulate because if you're drinking two energy drinks every day, for example, the benefits taper off pretty quickly and you have to take a week or two off of caffeine (and deal with withdrawals during that time) to get back to where caffeine actually helps again. Because of that, you can't rely on caffeine on a daily basis for a long period of time like you can with Modafinil or Adderall.

afinilexpert likes this.